Peter began practicing law in 1980 as a trial attorney. Over his career
he developed considerable experience in a wide variety of civil litigation
matters, including business, construction, employment, insurance, personal
injury, probate and real estate. Based upon that experience, including
numerous jury and nonjury trials in state and federal courts and hundreds
of successful settlements representing both individuals and businesses,
Peter began serving as a mediator in the late 1990s. Because of his reputation
for fairness and impartiality, his ability to be a good listener and his
willingness to work hard and be persistent to achieve settlements, his
mediation practice grew rapidly and he soon became one of the most well
respected mediators in Maine.
Peter's practice is now concentrated on Mediation and other types of
alternative dispute resolution work, such as Arbitration and serving as
a court-appointed Referee. He has successfully mediated over 1000 cases
and has achieved the highest level of professional excellence in Alternative
Dispute Resolution by receiving Martindale Hubbell's AV Preeminent
Rating as voted by his peers. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers in
America in Mediation and is only one of six mediators in Maine to be selected
to the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
Peter has taken an active leadership role in a wide range of legal and
civic organizations. He has been chosen to be President of the Maine Association
of Mediators for the 2016 term. He has served as Chairman of the City
of Saco Planning Board and the Southern Maine Fee Arbitration Commission
Panel. He has been on the Board of Directors of Saco Bay Trails and an
active volunteer with the Appalachian Mountain Club. An avid outdoorsman,
he is been admitted to the AMC Four Thousand Footer Club for climbing
all 48 of New Hampshire's peaks over 4000 feet.
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating in Alternative Dispute
- Best Lawyers in America in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Martindale- Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment in 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer in Personal Injury in 2015
- Resolute Systems National Panel of Mediators/Arbitrators
- Maine Residential Real Estate Mediation Program Roster
- New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights Mediation Roster
- Maine Legal Services for the Elderly Panel/Mediator
- Maine Superior Court Mediation, Early Neutral Evaluation, Arbitration Rosters
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Maine Association of Mediators, Board of Directors
- Maine State Bar Association, ADR Section
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- York County Bar Association
Additional Alternative Dispute Resolution Information
Maine Superior Court Discovery Referee in landmark beach rights case; Robert
Almeder et. al. v.
- Town of Kennebunkport et. al.
- Maine Medical Malpractice Panelist
- Former Southern Maine Fee Arbitration Chairman and Panelist
- Former Saco Planning Board Chairman and Member
of Pennsylvania and Schiavi Homes, 878 A.2d 509 (Maine 2005)
$203,782 verdict for mold damage to family's home and mold related
problems plus $70,348 award in attorneys' fees and costs due to the
jury's finding for violation of Maine's Unfair Trade Practice
law upheld on appeal.
Emery v. Hussey
, 679 A.2d 1284 (Maine 1997)
$400,000 products liability verdict upheld on appeal.
Slater v. Merit Managment, LLC, et al
, (U.S. District Court, District of Maine, Docket No. CV-01-119, 2002)
Co-counsel in $960,000 verdict in amusement park personal injury case.
Pawloski v. Century 21 Balfour, et al
, (Cumberland County Superior Court, Docket No. CV-89-550)
$150,000 verdict, including $25,000 punitive damages, in misrepresentation
case involving sale of business.
Walker v. Provost
, 566 A.2d 749 (Maine 1989)
Verdict in real estate boundary case awarding 42 acre parcel upheld on app