Charles W. "Walter" Smith Jr.
Walter’s 37 years practicing law have been concentrated in the areas of criminal defense and personal injury cases. He has handled a wide range of civil matters both as plaintiff and defense counsel.
A native Mainer and part-time lobsterman for more than thirty years, Walter’s combined legal expertise and love of the sea have allowed him to work extensively with a local fishermen’s association and member of the Shellfish Community for the City of Biddeford.
He has served as President of the York Bar Association as well as currently acting as the CLE director for the York Bar. Additionally, he was the Chairman of the Grievance Commission for the Board of Overseers of the Bar and a member of the Board. He also was President of the York County Shelter; a founding member of a juvenile intervention program; and currently is the President of the Board of Trustees for the Biddeford/Saco Country Club.
Notable Cases & News
The Smith & Elliott, PA Saco Legal Team
Woman held in County Jail 103 days to be represented by Smith & Elliott, PA
This article appeared in the December 11, 2009 edition of the Journal Tribune.
York Bar Association's "Past Presidents Achievement Award" renamed to " Charles Walter Smith Jr. Award"
- University of Maine School of Law, Portland, ME, 1973, J.D.
- University of Richmond, Richmond, VA, 1969, B.A.
- Maine Bar, 1973
- U.S. District Court District of Maine, 1973
- Maine Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- York County Bar Association
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Indigent Defense Committee, Past Chair
- York County Shelter, Inc., Former President
- Grievance Commission, Former President
- Member of the Board of Overseers of the Bar
- Biddeford/Saco Country Club, President